Monday, November 11, 2013

Health Insurance for Baja 1000

Since Baja 1000 is an event with inherent safety risks, what you really want is travel insurance (watch out for scams).  Found a good insurance plan for $13 from Medex.  It appears to cover a good amount, and has special coverage for dangerous sporting activities.

To illustrate what a nightmare health emergencies can be in foreign lands, here's a personal example.  My brother had an accident in mexico where he shattered his shinbone at the ankle.  He fell off a building.  The first doctor he saw wanted to amputate, but we got the state department involved and they got him to another hospital for diplomats.  It cost my family tens of thousands of dollars worth of credit card cash advances and hours of paperwork to pay the medical evacuation bills before they operated.  Hospitals in mexico don't take credit, and they don't have a legal obligation to stabilize you like they do here.  I have since learned that a far better way to handle this risk is to buy travel insurance.

The Medex website is crazy simple and easy to use.  I got coverage for up to $100,000 for $13.  It was recommended to me by my teammate, who was told about it from his university.  I highly recommend checking it out if you're doing adventure sports in foreign countries.

I'm not affiliated with any organizations discussed on my site or compensated by them in any way, so I tell it like it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment