Saturday, November 16, 2013

Rescue!

We got a call on the satellite phone  when we were supposed to meet up with the car at mule 151. The race team got stuck on a hill. there was a problem with the engine and they couldn't get any power out of the car when they hit the accelerator. 

Dark had just arrived at around 6pm and the guys were in the most remote and most difficult part of the course. Every year this section of course disables many vehicles in every class, even the multimillion dollar trophy trucks. 

We set out to radio the various pits we have signed up with, including bfgoodrich and Baja pits, then went to the nearest checkpoint. There was no response from the pit on either radio or satellite phone, so Cyrus and I started asking around if anyone could help. Several teams were at the checkpoint either fixing cars or waiting around, so there were plenty of big trucks there who might be able to help. When we told people where they were, almost everybody told us that they were going to have to spend the night. Nobody wanted to go into that area, even locals who live on the mountain nearby the location of the car. One guy told us that they should "get comfortable" and when pressed on how to break the news to our friends, he said to tell them "they're fucked".  

Cy and I went to the nearby Baja pit stop to try and get help from them. We spoke to another class 11 team that was manned by teenagers who pointed is toward the man in charge. He was a short man with a backward baseball cap but he was busy with cars coming in. I noticed on his desk were a list of satellite phone numbers for Baja pits near the location of the car. I told Cyrus I would check those numbers while he looked for help. 

Sam was planning for a crew to return to the house and get a trailer for the car. That way we would have a vehicle to transport the car immediately when it was retrieved. I insisted we hold tight and try the phone numbers first and enlisted Sams help. 

Shortly after trying several the numbers in the area, Cyrus approached me and asked "are you ready for you Baja adventure?"

Caught off guard, i asked "what are you planning?" And he repeated "are you ready for your Baja adventure?"  

Knowing Cyrus, he was testing my resolve to venture into the unknown. He knew I was uneasy about going to Mexico to begin with and didn't want to pressure me into anything I was uncomfortable with.  I relented and said as enthusiastically as I could, "hells yeah". 


No comments:

Post a Comment